TLTP 036 – Not-So-Innocent Bystander
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” Sounds like you guys letting us carry on making this podcast. Welcome to The Last Tuesday Project!
This month Jane has grabbed the reins and landed us with a duo of deep questions. We veto the first question on male hormonal contraception (partly because Hayley’s too drunk). Instead, we are forced at knifepoint to accept question of Genovese Syndrome, also known as the Bystander Effect, and how it has been affected by social media.
- Bystander Effect Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bystander_effect
- Murder of Kitty Genovese Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Kitty_Genovese
- 37 Who Saw Murder Didn’t Call the Police; Apathy at Stabbing of Queens Woman Shocks Inspector New York Times https://www.nytimes.com/1964/03/27/archives/37-who-saw-murder-didnt-call-the-police-apathy-at-stabbing-of.html
- What the Kitty Genovese Killing Can Teach Today’s Digital Bystanders New York Times https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/04/us/retro-report-bystander-effect.html
- A Call for Help: What the Kitty Genovese story really means. New Yorker https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2014/03/10/a-call-for-help
- Social Media: Avoiding the Bystander Effect The Corvalis Advocate https://www.corvallisadvocate.com/2018/social-media-avoiding-bystander-effect/
- Filming an emergency on your phone or camera? Know your rights before you press record ABC Australia https://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-12-19/what-you-need-to-know-about-filming-an-emergency/9267910
- Why do people take pictures at crash scenes? BBC News https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-45839351
- Our phones make us feel like social-media activists, but they’re actually turning us into bystanders Quartz https://qz.com/991167/our-phones-make-us-feel-like-social-media-activists-but-theyre-actually-turning-us-into-bystanders/
- Outrage As Bystander Stops Assault Instead Of Filming It Waterford Wispers https://waterfordwhispersnews.com/2018/07/30/outrage-as-bystander-stops-assault-instead-of-filming-it/
- The Courage of Bystanders Who Press ‘Record’ The Atlantic https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2015/04/the-courage-of-bystanders-who-press-record/389979/
- The Impact of Social Media on the Bystander Effect Medium – Tanzie Bodeen https://medium.com/@tbodeen/the-impact-of-social-media-on-the-bystander-effect-55aa51d0d82
- Dr Richard Firth-Godbehere – Disgust: new emotion, old experience? (Stories of Psychology 2018) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ktx5Vxjr5mw
This month’s icon uses an image from page 92 from the book ‘Three Pretty Sisters. A romance of modern Paris, etc’ by Leonard Linden, found on The British Library Archive on Flickr. It was modified by Alex Brown.
With huge thanks, as usual, to Strong4Life for the use of his music.