Do you feel that rumbling? Is that the energy within our earth stirring? Nah, it’s just this month’s episode of The Last Tuesday Project!
This month Hayley asks us whether we should give a frack about fracking. Alex and Jane take a look at the evidence and come across some questionable websites in the process.
- What is fracking and why is it controversial? BBC (https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-14432401)
- Hydraulic Fracturing Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydraulic_fracturing)
- Can fracking cause earthquakes? Vox (https://www.vox.com/cards/fracking/does-fracking-cause-earthquakes)
- The problem with fracking Greenpeace (https://www.greenpeace.org.uk/what-we-do/climate/fracking/the-problem-with-fracking/)
- What-Is-Fracking.com (http://what-is-fracking.com/)
- API (https://www.api.org/)
- The American Petroleum Institute Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Petroleum_Institute)
- Full Factsheet: Fracking FullFact (https://fullfact.org/economy/full-factsheet-fracking/)
- Fracking Memes frackfeed.com (https://www.frackfeed.com/category/memes/)
- Vincent Harris (Political Strategist) Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vincent_Harris_(political_strategist))
- Feelings About Fracking: Using the Affect Heuristic to Understand Opposition to Coal Seam Gas Production. PubMed (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/30096214)
- The Environmental Costs and Benefits of Fracking AnnualReviews.org (https://www.annualreviews.org/doi/full/10.1146/annurev-environ-031113-144051)
- “Fracking” controversy and communication: Using national survey data to understand public perceptions of hydraulic fracturing ScienceDirect (https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0301421513010392)
- What’s the ‘fracking’ problem? One word can’t say it all ScienceDirect (https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2214790X14000471)
- Study Shows Hydraulic Fracturing Boosts Local Economies EPIC (https://epic.uchicago.edu/news-events/news/study-shows-hydraulic-fracturing-boosts-local-economies)
- The economic benefits of fracking Brookings (https://www.brookings.edu/blog/brookings-now/2015/03/23/the-economic-benefits-of-fracking/)
- Hydraulic Fracturing Decreases Infant Health, Study Finds EPIC (https://epic.uchicago.edu/news-events/news/hydraulic-fracturing-decreases-infant-health-study-finds)
- Health & Fracking: The impacts & opportunity costs MedAct (https://www.medact.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/medact_fracking-report_WEB3.pdf)
- Letter to Dr Sarah Woollaston MP (https://investigatingbalcombeandcuadrilla.files.wordpress.com/2018/08/letter-to-dr-sarah-wollaston-mp1.pdf)
- Drilling Diary Drill Or Drop? (https://drillordrop.com/drilling-diary/)
- 9 Reasons You Should Support Fracking FrackFeed (https://www.frackfeed.com/9-reasons-you-should-support-fracking/)
- Texans For Natural Gas (https://www.texansfornaturalgas.com/about)
- What Is Fracking? YouTube – HowStuffWorks (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Io8o2nTXhb0)
- Hydraulic Fracturing for Oil and Gas: Impacts from the Hydraulic Fracturing Water Cycle on Drinking Water Resources in the United States Environmental Protection Agency (https://www.epa.gov/sites/production/files/2016-12/documents/hfdwa_executive_summary.pdf)
- Fracking Outpaces Science on Its Impact environment Yale (http://environment.yale.edu/envy/stories/fracking-outpaces-science-on-its-impact#gsc.tab=0)
- A decade of fracking research: What have we learned? eenews (https://www.eenews.net/stories/1060087955)
Do you like what we do and want to show your support? Well, you can now give us a helping hand via Patreon! Just go to https://www.patreon.com/LastTuesdayProject. If every listener gave us a dollar a month, we will be able to furnish Tuesday Tower with all sorts of hipster paraphernalia, as well as get Shaun a Hipstermatic 3000 beard trimmer for his birthday. Please donate – he’s in dire need of a trim.
With huge thanks, as usual, to Strong4Life for the use of his music.