TLTP 026 – The Music Or The Misery
Shoe-gazers, rejoice! Fans of 80s big-hair rock ballads, take heed! And emo kids, keep… emo-ing… It’s time to take another musical deep-dive with The Last Tuesday Project!
This time Shaun and Alex veto Jane’s first question (for a special reason) and end up taking on a subject very dear to every Tuesday’s heart – The Music Or The Misery. If that quote means anything to you, you’re going to love this episode!
- Nick Hornby Quotable Quote Goodreads (https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/273637-what-came-first-the-music-or-the-misery-people-worry)
- What Came First – The Music Or The Misery? Stuff And Nonsense (https://jdc325.wordpress.com/2010/11/12/what-came-first-the-music-or-the-misery/)
- The Effect of Country Music on Suicide (http://planet.uwc.ac.za/nisl/Students/Jay/country%20music%20&%20suicide.pdf)
- Understanding Substance Use and Addiction Through the Lyrics of Black Sabbath: A Content Analysis Pubmed (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27487258)
- Sad music is good for you, says new study The Independent (https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/news/sad-music-is-good-for-you-says-new-study-9848757.html)
- The Paradox of Music-Evoked Sadness: An Online Survey PlosOne (http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0110490)
- Big Five personality traits Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Five_personality_traits)
- Effect of Music Practice on Anxiety and Depression of Iranian Dental Students PubMed (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5694846/)
- Literature gloom mirrors economic misery, study finds The Guardian (https://www.theguardian.com/books/2014/jan/09/study-economic-misery-literature-mood-words)
- Books Average Previous Decade of Economic Misery PlosOne (http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0083147)
- When Love Cries: Popular 1980s Love Songs Examined Through Intimate
Partner Violence OhioLINK (https://etd.ohiolink.edu/!etd.send_file?accession=akron1396889008&disposition=inline)
- Musical trends and predictability of success in contemporary songs in and out of the top charts Royal Society Open Science (http://rsos.royalsocietypublishing.org/content/5/5/171274
- Music and social bonding: “self-other” merging and neurohormonal mechanisms PubMed (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4179700/
- Can music preference indicate mental health status in young people? PubMed (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/18608148/?i=6&from=/22248342/related)
- Risky music listening, permanent tinnitus and depression, anxiety, thoughts about suicide and adverse general health PubMed (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/24897078/?i=1&from=pop%20music%20mental%20health)
- Life Expectancy and Cause of Death in Popular Musicians: Is the Popular Musician Lifestyle the Road to Ruin? PubMed (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/26966963/?i=26&from=pop%20music)
- Individual differences in musical taste PubMed (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/20518436/?i=4&from=/22248342/related)
Do you like what we do and want to show your support? Well, you can now give us a helping hand via Patreon! Just go to https://www.patreon.com/LastTuesdayProject. If every listener gave us a dollar a month, we will be able to furnish Tuesday Tower with all sorts of hipster paraphernalia, as well as get Shaun a Hipstermatic 3000 beard trimmer for his birthday. Please donate – he’s in dire need of a trim.
With huge thanks, as usual, to Strong4Life for the use of his music.